Saturday, October 10, 2009

Another Low Day - Which is Good, Actually

Yesterday I woke up at 67. It stayed there most of the day. Each pre-meal was in the 70's (I hate how below 80 feels, don't you?) and I had 2 lows in the middle of the night. This morning - 72.

So today, I am taking my Lantus dose down to 8 units, see how that treats me for the next couple of days - to see if yesterday was an anomaly, or if it means my pancreas likes to work better.

Seriously, though, if the dose stays lower - and I don't see why it wouldn't - every other time I've reduced my insulin, it's stayed there, and done good things for me - this means I am close to HALF the insulin usage I was before. (That's both with the Novolog and the Lantus). With the next infusion scheduled to begin in 2 weeks, I am optimistic about my future.

I mean, low days don't feel so good, but I'm OK with it if they help my a1c and indicate possible cell regeneration. Of course, I never purposely go low. No way, man.

Also, I have split my Lantus does - one in the morning and one at night, (9 a.m. and 9 p.m.) and even though it means more shots, I like it better, so if I mess them up again and replace one with the other, I'm not taking too much Novolog. (I mean, yeah, it'll be more than I should, but it would be easier to fix). Of course, I am determined not to mix them up again. Too scary.

Does anyone else have to change their insulin ratios for different meals? It seems like at dinner, I have to use a tad more insulin per carbs than I do at breakfast/lunch. I wonder if the Lantus dose has worn off by then, but splitting it should have helped, and I've been split for a few months now. Of course, it could be completely due to the fact that after breakfast/lunch, I do stuff (exercise, clean the house, run errands, etc.) and once dinner is over, I'm all about curling up with a book or in front of the TV. Heaven forbid I be productive after 7 or 8 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. It's common to have different carb ratio's for different meals and also blood sugar carrection rates for different time of the day. Also are you taking half of you with each shot? It's not "supposed" to but Lantus does have a peak. Before switching to to my pump I took 10am and 5pm to help prevent a lows over night when it peaked. And it does take a fews days for Lantus changes to truly take effect, like 2-3 days for some people. If I missed a Lantus dose is was a complete 24 hours later before I was having to up my humalog level to cover the missed injection.

    Good Luck with your next infusion!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete