Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Diabetes Blog Week - Better Late than Never

OK, so I should have been blogging all week about various topics on diabetes.. I haven't been doing that.

But here's the prompt for today - 


May is Mental Health Month so now seems like a great time to explore the emotional side of living with, or caring for someone with, diabetes. What things can make dealing with diabetes an emotional issue for you and / or your loved one, and how do you cope? 


This is a rough prompt,  and I don't think I will go fully down that rabbit hole.  There are a whole LOT of things that make living with diabetes an emotional issue for me, not the least of which is diabetes itself, when high blood sugars make you burst into tears at the grocery store because well....THE GROCERY STORE, and when low blood sugars make you eat everything in sight to keep the terror at bay.


Keeping the terror at bay is hard.  


But here's a conversation I had tonight that sums up PART of what makes it an emotional topic.


Husband: I brought home pizza.  I also got you a salad because I know you're not a big fan of pizza.


Me:  I'm a fan of pizza.  It's diabetes that doesn't like it.  And it's a very demanding roommate.


And there you have it.  I have an uninvited, demanding, expensive roommate.  One that will never leave. One that demands I eat salad over pizza, even when I don't want to.  And should I choose that pizza, there WILL be consequences.  This roommate keeps me up at night.  Constantly.  It calls me all day long. beeping and buzzing and not letting me just be BY MYSELF FOR ONE MINUTE?   It's basically a demanding toddler that will never go away, and it's sucking up my vacation funds in the form of test strips that get everywhere. Seriously.  This roommate is MESSY.  It never cleans up, it never contributes to the bills, and I can't kick it to the curb.  


And really, I'm an introvert.  College is over.  I don't need any roommates.  The only ones I want in my home are my family members.  


The permanence makes it rough.  How do I make peace with something that won't end?  





I have no idea.  If you do, let me know.


More d-blog links here.  Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment