Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Endo visit - here we are again.

Ok peeps - my life has changed DRAMATICALLY since my last endo visit 6 months ago.  I mean, okay, well, not that dramatically, I mean, I didn't move, or get divorced, or survive a tsunami or anything.

I got a full time job and re-entered the work force after roughly 15 years at home.

My husband left his job to pursue his own business, for the second time in our marriage.

My father got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

My dogs peed in the house. (Oh, wait, that's not that different).

Anyway, when he looked at my Dex and said "You were running high on Friday - wait - all weekend you were high - do you happen to know why?"  All I could say was "stress."

This is my "My dad has cancer and my husband has no job" blood sugar day.

But honestly, most of that isn't all that stressful.  I enjoy working, always have.  I missed it, and am happy to be back, and I like my coworkers and company. I know my husband is going to rock in his own business, because frankly, he's done it before.  My dad having pancreatic cancer....well, that one just sucks.  I got nothing.  Can't even offer him my own shot pancreas.

So with days like this, I anxiously held my breath for the A1C.

It came back.  6.7%.  I was really surprised.  Sitting in an office all day is far different from chasing your kiddos around the house, and heading to your friends to work out, and cleaning up daily, and etc etc etc.  I really thought it'd be closer to 7.2, especially with all the spiking.  Seriously, sugars were spiking constantly.  SPIKE!  It was like an episode of Buffy constantly.  I kept waiting for Drusilla to show up.

Also, I learned that taking cholesterol pills faithfully and working out for  - oh, approximately one week - right before your doctor's appointment truly pays off - as my LDL was 140, when last time it was over 200 (not the whole cholesterol - just the LDL).  So he's good with my sporadic taking of the pills.

"Do you take cholesterol pills?"


"Oh right, you're like me!"

And so it goes - we've officially added another pill - and this is one I will take.  It's called Invokana, and even though it's approved for Type 2's, he's giving it to a bunch of his Type 1's and loving the results, and he wanted me to take it last time, (well, technically it was Farxiga last time but they are pretty much the same thing, and nobody cares about technicalities so I'm not sure why I mentioned it) but last time I felt like I was doing fine with my 6.2 and didn't feel the need to add an expensive drug.  Yeah, I was cocky.  The diabetes universe doesn't like that. Also, the people on that Invokana website freak me out.

My sugars for about a week.  Super in range, right?  No spiking at all. Where's Buffy when you need her?

So now I wanted something to help with the spikes.  Something other than pre-bolusing, which, let's face it, I suck at.  Even though I know it helps.  I just can't get over the fear of it.  Something in me just won't bolus unless food is less than 5 minutes away, which makes literally no sense, because the kitchen isn't going anywhere, and hopefully one day I will get past it and bolus when food is 20 minutes out, but you know what?  TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY.

And so I get this drug.  And it punishes me by making me pee.  There are days when there is literally no difference, and days where I feel like I'm pre-diagnosis, running to the potty every 20 minutes.  And that's what it's supposed to do, and it also rewards me by helping with the sugars.  It definitely helps.  I haven't had to monetarily pay for it yet, still using the samples he gave me, and I'm sure I will cry a little at the bill, especially since we switch insurances tomorrow and all that lovely work I've done on my deductible is now gone.

Medicine is expensive.  In other news, the sun rises in the east.

Oh, and he examined my feet.  Had some trouble locating the pulse in my left foot, which doesn't surprise me at all, because that foot feels numb on one side a lot and if there's any circulation issues or nerve damage, that's where it is.  Right foot is totally fine, though.  Strangeness.

Thyroid still fine - no need for meds there yet.

And so I get to see him in four months, because he wrote "3 to 6 months" on the check out form, and that's what the receptionist came up with.  So that'll be fun.

See you all then!  Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment